Sunday, October 12, 2014

8 Unexpectedly Necessary Baby Products

will start by explaining that I am most definitely NOT one of those moms who has to buy everything. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I minimized my life in preparation for Hayden. I registered for only what I knew we would use, which was still a lot. I'm not extreme on any level but I budget and living space conscious.

I also worked at Babies R Us on the back of house crew for some time. My running joke with the crew (because you need jokes at 4 am on Saturday morning) was, "do you really need that?" As in, "a baby carrier, do you really need that? Just carry your baby". 

With that being said, through luck I found these eight items that I seriously don't know what I would do with out.


#1 -- Terry Cloth Bath Glove. This little cutie makes bath time fun! When H was tiny, I found the wash cloth more challenging to keep soapy and maneuver quickly. Then we got Mr. Monkey. H's face lights up when he sees him coming! The thicker fabric holds soap longer, being on your hand you move more freely and it's entertaining for baby. We now have Mr. Monkey's friends Mr. Whale and Mr. Frog too! All available by Gerber at Walmart for $3.00. 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Newborn-Boys-Animal-Terry-Bath-Mitt/23623838


#2 -- Portable Sound Machine. Oh boy, this is a lifesaver! H hated car rides at first. One day my friend came over with this attached to her daughter's carrier and it was so effective that I went out first thing the next morning and bought it. So far it's the best $9.99 I've ever spent! This is the HoMedics myBaby Sound Spa On The Go which features has 4 sounds, adjustable volume, battery operated, timer and a clip that attaches right to the infant seat. Not only does this make car time a peaceful nap every time but he also turns it on. Sometimes I find him in the grocery holding it up his ear and then falling asleep. I can actually get my shopping done, magic! Bonus, it travels well so you can send it to the Grandparent's house for over night visits. Available at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $9.99.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/homedics-reg-mybaby-trade-soundspa-reg-on-the-go/1040657134?Keyword=my+baby%2c+portable+sound+machine

#3 -- Pacifier Clip. I once thought this was the most ridiculously overpriced non necessity found in a baby store. Until, I had H. Seriously, this "bink clip" as we call it has been clutch in putting in the plug. I always have it on the car seat strap. Which is awesome when you're driving and need your husband to pop it in because you forgot to put on sound. It's always there, it's always in reach for him to self soothe and it saves you from having to wash binks at every restaurant table or water fountain you see! My personal favorites are the Ulubulu Universal Clip available at Target for $4.99. 
http://www.target.com/p/ulubulu-pacifier-clip-boys/-/A-14907349

#4 -- Johnson & Johnson Vapor Bath. My sister-in-law gave this to me at our shower. She said it's like a bath for him in Vic's Vapor Rub. When H was 3 1/2 months he was down with his first cold. I tried everything to kick it as fast as I could because his misery was quickly becoming ours. At night, he needed a bath and I gave it a try. Within seconds his sinus' cleared and his breathing was much better! By the next morning he was like a new baby. I completely attribute his turn around to this product. It's amazing. You can find the new formula on Amazon for starting at $4.25. 
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Soothing-Vapor-Bath-15/dp/B005IHNT9E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414544218&sr=8-2&keywords=johnson+and+johnson+vapor+bath

#5 -- O'Ball. I'm not joking when I say that every child I have seen with this ball loves it. The first one he received as a gift from his cousin Marnie because she loved hers. His second is clipped to H's car seat with links for portable entertainment. At least once a week, another child takes it off! It's light, easy to grab, colorful and it rattles. A great toy for baby birth and up. Made by Rhino Toys, available at Toys R Us for $5.99. 



#6 -- Munchkin Easy Fill Spoon. My son started on stage one baby food at about 14 weeks. He was very much interested in food, flavors and the ritual. The problem was, the few seconds inbetween bites was enough for him to lose focus or get frustrated. This made feeding difficult, messy and frustrating for both of us! I saw this spoon and thought I'd try it. What a lifesaver! I make H's food, pour it into this rubber spoon and serve him a steady stream. It makes meal time so much more fun and effective. Available at Walmart for $6.49. 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Munchkin-Easy-Squeezy-Spoon-1ct/20933037

#7 -- Colic Ease. This natural mix of herbs is the answer to all of baby's tummy issues & colic. Unlike other "Gripe Water" options, this formula is an all natural herb base. One unique ingredient is dill. When H was suffering from severe A.R. we were trying anything. When I gave him a "shot" of this, he immediately was soothed and quite often fell asleep instantly for a quick nap. It's magical. I found it at a small internet based motherhood supplier in Novi, MI called "Mom & Baby Shop" for $18.99. 
http://www.momandbabyshop.com/colic-ease-7-oz.html#.VFA-2le4_K8


#8 -- The Baby Brush. Does this little guy look familiar? It's because it's the infant version of The  Wet Brush. Positively my favorite brush on the planet. I currently own 4 so that I never have to be without one. For someone with long, regularly dyed, fine textured hair it's a life saver. When I saw this guy I had to have it and in no surprise I love it!!! It's sturdy yet smooth. It actually catches all of H's hair. And the quality of the product is far outlasting the rest. I got this one from The Wet Brush for under $6.98. 
http://www.thewetbrush.com/baby/the-baby-brush.html

There you have it, my current necessities for life with my HaHa. :-) I hope this gang finds you all the happiness, comfort and ease it they have provided me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment