Saturday, September 27, 2014

2014 Fall Fashion

I have been out shopping a lot lately. An inordinate amount. Searching for the perfect shower dress, the best bracelets for my bridesmaids, the warmest hoodie for my son, the best bargain on home storage. I'm not going to lie, my husband hates shopping with me because I have to look at and touch everything. In all of these shopping missions, at malls, boutiques and departments stores alike, I could not help but look at the latest fashion trends. I made a list of my favorites and I thought I'd share it all with you!

Here it is, my favorite 2014 Fall Fashion Trends!

GRUNGE

I love it but I'm apprehensive. The last time I was into grudge fashion my family called me "Cobain" for oh.... the last 20 years. I mean, after all, the stringy hair and ripped clothes can't help but out a target on you. Still, I can't help be a little excited about it's rewind. There's something so intriguing about the challenge of making "unkept" look cool. As long as your going for the more sophisticated approach, I'm all about this comeback. Here are some great looks Forever 21 out together. (www.Forever21.com)
What I love about these grunge inspired looks is the mix of old and new. They represent the movement through flannel, ripped jeans, layering and casual vibe. However, they are modernized by bold, bright colors, femininity through fitted clothing and lace and stepping up the accessories to a more elevated level with layering and a statement piece. Something traditionally you wouldn't have seen, as minimalizing your accessories is part of original fashion concept. These looks screams glamorous attitude! Going Grunge? Let grimy inspire you and glam reign you in. 



SHEER

I noticed a lot of lines carrying sheer pieces. I like it because that means detail and embellishments, solid construction of garments (because sheer fabric is difficult to work with you'd have to do it right) and subltle seduction.  It also inspirses an airy lightness in a season that starts motivating us to bundle up. Here's great piece from BCBGeneration I found at Bloomingdales. (www1.Bloomingdales.com)
I love it, absolutely love it. It screams look at me in an alluring way. It can be done up with high end accessories for an event or paired with red lips for a sassy date night. Particularly, this dress ties in two trends this season in the sheer skirt but also a somewhat gothic vibe. A lace covered bodice gives a feminine innocence to a piece that would otherwise put you blatantly out there. The sheer overlay adds movement and a level of intrigue. It gives you very "now you see it, now you don't" feel. Going Sheer? Tap into your deep emotions and let them guide you into something light and uplifting. 



RED

I'm not sure when red isn't in style but this season it's front and center. Red is a powerful color. It evokes emotion and motivates action. It's a color that signifies leadership and strength as well as passion and sensual energy. Not everyone feels they can wear red, however everyone can and should. It's not a matter of if but a matter of how because everyone deserves to feel the attention of a red. I found a couple of pieces in red that are new this season and tie in other popular fall trends. 

First, let's start with how. What red should you wear? Well, essentially there are two types: warm and cold. Warm reds pull more yellow and cold reds pull more blue. An easy trick that I made up while working in a beauty store was, "what do you you look better in gold or silver?". My skin pops in gold, though I prefer silver, I am a warm tone. Lots of blondes with blue eyes, like my sister, look better in silver so they are cool tones. This is a good go to trick when debating reds. 


 This Michael Kors walker coat takes the popular tie front approach to a side breast zipper jacket in an orange red. This particular shade of red is a warm tone and would be a great match with any traditional fall colors such as rich browns, oranges, yellows and golds. I found this jacket at www.Macys.com on sale for $179. 

 This blue red, called "wine", sweater by Olive & Oak is a cool tone. It exemplifies several other fall trends as it's perfectly layered on top of a light blue denim button down and paired with leopard print flats. All things you will find in fall collections right now. This ensemble was out together and available for purchase on www.
Lulu.com. These pieces vary in price but are very affordable. 
This floral print silk blouse is the perfect example of mixing reds and how to wear red in the work place. Believe it or not, this is something a lot of women struggle with. This larger print, also available at www.LuLu.com, is fun and energetic without being too outrageous or sexy. This is the prime example of wearing red to portray power and motive others. Floral prints and flattering pin skirts are fashion forward in the work place this season. Going red? Don't forget to find the right match with your undertone and have fun with it. Confidence is key! 


KIMONOS

What is there not to enjoy about a kimono? Honestly, it doesn't really do much. Like an accessory, the kimono doesn't offer physical purpose but  it does give you something pretty to look at. Which I think is why I love it so much. They're beautiful, graceful and they make the outfit. Here's a beautiful piece carried by Anthropology. 
This sheer beauty offers a variety of color in an Asian inspired print. I love that this kimono can give a chic look with little effort. Pair it with solids, put your hair up in an "off duty ballerina bun" and throw on some comfortable flats. Voila! A full, trendy look in minutes. I've literally seen this similar look in just about every store and price point. Going kimono? Pick a length, cut and pattern that will flatter your shape, not hide it.

ANKLE BOOTS

For me, this is a hard trend to follow. Being 4'10, I naturally have short legs and stopping my boot at the ankle just cuts my leg in half. However, I love ankle boots because they're cute, comfortable and easy to wear. This season not only are ankle boots in, they're a perfect fit for the grunge and western styles prominent this season. 
As always, I love these Madden Girl by Steve Madden boots and they're available for only $59. (www.SteveMadden.com) Going ankle length? Pair them with pants, roll them up. Throw a dress on and leggings, or not. However you wear them, have fun! 



STATEMENT PIECE NECKLACE

This is one of my all time favorite trends that I will never get sick of. I'm so happy to see oversized bauble necklaces are back on top this fall. Statement piece neckalces are a good way to dress up a plain garment and refresh your look. Think of it as an opportunity to get creative and express yourself without having to invest in a whole new wardrobe. Because I'm such a fan, I found a few examples of how we to be bold this fall. 
You can find this fall color themed gem at Bauble Bar (www.baublebar.com) for $44. I think it's a great piece for this time of year because it plays on the many warm tones organically found in autumn. It also incorporates some cool tones in the blue and rhinestones so anyone can wear it and it can be mix into many themes.

This link and pearl with rhinestone statement piece is a great way to show your classic and edgy sides at the same time. Something about this piece makes me think, "lady in the streets and a freak in the sheets". Find this one at Express under $60. 

Mix it up and get funky with this Betsey Johnson (of course!) necklace that definitely makes a statement! It says, "I love animals and I'm not afraid to be glamorous about it". It combines oversized bauble necklaces and hip animal prints in one. But you have to go to straight to the horses mouth for this one, I could only find it at www.BetseyJohnson.com for $95. 



MESSY HAIR, DONT CARE

This is my favorite new fall trend of all. Maybe all time. It's called, messy. Seriously, spend 2 hours making your tresses look perfectly braided, then mess it up! Or it throw it in a braid before you go to bed and then roll out in the morning. This works perfectly for all your adventurous grunge fashionistas. For girls with long hair everywhere, I beg you to embrace this & let your long haired sisters rock this trend through winter! Here are some fine examples: 

I'm also a fan of the "tinted hair". Emphasizing understated color, for all of us tired of looking at Katy Perry knock offs gone bold. There is a pretty way to have green hair, I swear! 

Finally, the sectioned pony. This is a fancy spin on how I used to play with my hair when I was bored in elementary school and I like it. It's a modern remake of a classic, easy to accomplish and interesting to look at. Here it looks like it's worn for more of a festive night occasion but I feel like you could also rock it for lunch with the ladies or even work. 


So there you have it, my 2014 fall fashion trends favorites. I'm very excited for where this is going and am happily obliging trendsetters. I hope you all have fun going out and discovering some new styles for yourself! And please, let me know what you think about me picks and show me if you try them too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment