Thursday, September 25, 2014

OGtoberfest!


Here's a little Throwback Thursday to a "OGtoberfest". It's a super easy, fall themed frugal find meal I did almost exactly 3 years ago. For a family of four, this dinner will only cost around $1.31 per person. Here it is:



Part One: kielbasa and peppers. Store bought, sliced and sautéed in a frying pan. Cost is $1.25. 

Part Two: potatoe pancakes. I just bought them fresh that morning from a local polish bakery. Their cheaper than purchasing frozen or homemade and they taste better. Cost is $2.24. 

Part Three: tossed salad. While not exactly German, I like fresh salad with my meals and this is my go to when there really isn't one that fits my theme. 😉 Cost is $1.25. Normally, you can get a salad in a bag for around $2.50 (so you'd use half) or lately I've been making my own garden salads at the beginning of the week. 

Took about 15 minutes to shop, 20 minutes to prepare. It was around $5.25 cost for the portions I used which equal $1.31 per person. 

Festive, fast, frugal. Just the way I like it! 



Fun Oktoberfest Facts: 
* Then first Oktoberfest was a celebration of a wedding between Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. 
*Oktoberfest is really in September and last for 16-19 days ending on the first Sunday in October. 
*Approximently 6 million people attend Oktoberfest in Germany each year. 
*Although famous for their beer consumption, there are only 6 breweries allowed to serve at the event because they must brew inside the city of Munich and meet the Reinheitsgebot order.
*Each annual event produces 1,000 tons of rubbish. Ew! 

No comments:

Post a Comment