Thursday, September 4, 2014

Losing Ginger

Like many new moms, l pull my hair up daily. A bun, a princess up do, a braid... they're all great ways to keep your hair from your face and your baby's tiny grabby hands. While I was checking my pony in the mirror this weekend I noticed, it's happened. Postpartum hair loss. Everyone warned me but I was in denial. 


Everyday, 85-95% of your hair folicals are actively growing, the remainder are in the resting stage and tend to shed. While you're pregnant the flux in estrogen causes your hair growth to increase leaving your a full luxurious head of hair. After birth, your estrogen level crumbles and the percentage of resting hair increases. This causes postpartum hair loss. For me, I describe it as "my hair line receding". So, I'm getting proactive, doing research and working this out! 

Here are some products to try for postpartum hair loss. Because really there isn't anything you can other than volumizing products and faking a full appearance.

The Front Runner 


I love Paul Mitchell products. I used the moisturizing line this past winter when I was brutally dry from our terrible weather and it simply saved me. What's cool about this line is the lemon and sage will promote volume and the peppermint will tingle and refresh. It contains the vitamin  Panthenol (B5) which will strengthen the hair and smooth split ends. It's also paraben and gluten free, vegan, green and color safe. Great products for dull lifeless hair. www.paulmitchell.com 

The Full Line

John Frieda's name is synonymous with accommodating hair care. His brand crosses from high end to the most affordable. It's highly accessible brand through salons, education and products. This affordable line of volumizing and thickening hair support offers not only shampoo and conditioner but also styling products! They offer a hair spray, moose and blow dry lotion to create the illusion of full, thick and volumized locks. Products anyone can use!  www.johnfrieda.com 

The Loyal Brand 
Who doesn't love a good L'Oreal product? The company, founded in 1909, has been serving it's consumers for all their beauty needs since. They have a comprehensive and extensive thickening line but I'd like to focus on their Everstrong products. It uses an amino acid complex that helps thicken the hair, deeply penetrating the strands to rebuild, reversing damage and create longer lasting healthy hair. My favorite aspect is that it is sulfate and silicon free and uses natural botanicals so it does all it's heavy lifting in a safe and gentle way. Best part? It's retail value is very nice in your wallet. Beneficial for extra dry, damaged and course hair. www.lorealparisusa.com 

The "New Kid" On The Head
Have you met Samy Fat Hair? It hasn't  been around too long but it's making a big "0 calorie" impact! We like their cool name and that they're vegan and sulfate free. Why we love them is this they actually repair and build the proteins back into the hair with a fuller finish. They also promise to leave a soft touch and a shine. Their line also offers a wider range of products: shampoo, conditioner, moose, hairspray, blow dry spray, leave in conditioner, creme, most and root lifter. Perfect line for damage, long and fine textured hair. 

The Organic/Guy
 I love Organix! I was super excited to find this product. Not only is it my favorite affordable line it's also organic and for men! Similar to PM it uses citrus blend extract to replenish the hair strands and a mint blend extract to refresh the scalp. Uniquely to this product it uses complex combination of ingredients, it has a "seductive" sent and it's all organic. It also offers and invigorating wash. The perfect product that's strong enough for the organic but made for a man. www.organixhair.com 


So there you have it friends. My research into combating postpartum hair loss. Go out and try them, buy them and good luck getting your hair back! I'll let you know what I find in my experimental phase!  

No comments:

Post a Comment